DEPARTMENT OF DENTAL SURGERY
The Dental Surgery Department deals with the preventive and curative procedures of oral diseases while promoting a greater awareness of oral health.
The Department is made up of four (4) main arms:
- Oral & Maxilofacial Surgery/Pathology:
- Dealing with the management of oral lesions & pathologies such as Ludwing's angina, trauma & Neoplasms, etc.
- Restorative Dentistry:
- Dealing with the fabrication of removable partial dentures, temporary and permanent restorations, root canal treatment, etc.
- Preventive Dentistry:
- Deals with procedures aim at optimizing oral health and curtailing development of Oral disease e.g Scaling, Polishing and Oral health education e.t.c.
- Child Dental Health:
- is concerned with procedures aimed at promoting development of good dentition and management of childhood oral conditions
The Department runs its clinic from 8am to 4pm from Mondays - Fridays at FMC New Site, with emergency cases being catered for at the A&E Ward after working hours and during weekends. Patients are seen as outpatients, with admissions made in the Male and Female Surgical Ward of the Centre for surgery and care.
- Scaling & polishing of teeth
- periodontal treatment
- Temporary restoration for therapeutic resons
- Tooth coloured restoration procedures e.g G.I.C fillings
- Amalgam restoration 6. Root canal treatment
- Cementation of jacket crown 8. Fabrication of removable partial dentures
- Dental Radiology [periapical and occlusal
- Tooth extractions[routine & surgical
- Minor surgires e.g [local excision of soft tissue mass
- Incision&Drainage of Abscesses
- Splinting of teeth
- Inter maxillary fixation of jaws
- Operculectomy,frenectomy& soft tissue repair etc
A list of procedures currently carried out at the dental centre is as follows
Services are rendered in line with universal safety precautions for our patients and health personel.