DEPARTMENT OF MEDICAL SOCIAL SERVICES
The Department is headed by an Asst. Director Medical Social Work, and deputized by an Assistant Chief Medical Social Worker, with 2 Principal Officers, 3 senior staff and 14 intermediary staff. It also receives and trains corpers and students on industrial workshop. It is a 24 hour service provider department with five (5) units covering the medico-socio needs of patients and envisioned towards the provision of accessible, affordable and holistic medical needs of all categories of patients.
It has a zealous and priceless value for meeting patients expectations and needs.
The department is linked up to all clinical departments of the hospital where it receives and attends to all referrals through a systemic check mechanism by the units as follows:
CRISIS AND EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT UNIT
It is headed by a Unit Head.
- It provides immediate and effective solution in terms of both medical social and natural pandemics.
- It harnesses essential immediate and post traumatic medico-social needs of patients for holistic patient care.
- Together with the Mobilization Unit and other necessary departments, it liaises with relevant agencies for quick intervention in crisis situations.
- It maintains, sustains and effectively manages a blood banking system with the Pathology Department to ensure that patients in need of emergency blood transfusion, gets transfused immediately even in times of mass casualties after which it collaborates with the Mobilization and Advocacy Unit for replacements.
MOBILIZATION AND SOCIAL ADVOCACY UNIT
It is headed by a Unit Head.It's functions include:
- Responsible for organizing public sensitization of the department.
- It initiates, mobilises and makes contact on behalf of indigent patient for medical and financial assistance from individuals, corporate and religious bodies.
- In conjuncture with the Counselling Unit, it maintain links with discharged patients for home visits and provide doctors with feed backs where necessary.
- It liaises and keeps link with patients’ employers during hospitalization or incapacitation through illness to safeguard their jobs and or entitlements when necessary.
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT UNIT
It is headed by Unit Head who organizes, keeps and manages all monetary donations received on behalf of patient(s).
- It receives and accounts for all expenditure (s) on behalf of a patient or patients to the donor (s).
- It constantly works with the mobilization and advocacy unit to raise funds through social advocacy unit and gives financial management unit for use on identified indigent patient.
- It is responsible for collective mobilization in the recovery of outstanding bills of the Hospital.
MONITORING AND EVALUATION UNIT
It is headed by a Unit Head and it organizes and keeps record of all other units of the department.
It gives a monthly tabulation of all activities of all the units in the department such as the number of pints of blood issued on loan, number returned, awaiting return, etc. It also compiles all monies of drugs, surgeries, investigations etc., loaned to patients in a week, those paid back, those pending and actions taken for a comprehensive monthly and end of the year report.
This unit is also headed by a Unit Head. It among other things,:
- Actively participates in consultancy and general ward rounds.
- Identify patients in need of psycho-social therapy for proper counselling.
- Constantly counsel patients with terminal illness, amputations, hysterectomy, vasectomy, etc.
- Ensures and provides family and group counseling for patients on rehabilitation.
- Provides drug adherence and general counseling to patient on anti-retroviral therapy.
- Provides and keep records of home visits.
- Together with the Evaluation Unit, it keeps records of all clients to ensure a continuous mutual relationship.
Though the department is particular about patients with financial constraints, indigent or 'helpless', it however sees all patients in the hospital as its clients. This is because patients may need counseling, want to make contacts with employers or someone out of his/her reach, etc. so all patients in hospital can be attended to as clients of the department.
There is a social worker attached to every ward of the hospital who is expected to fully participate in all consultancy and general ward rounds, identify patient’s medico- social needs, report same to departments and units concerned, proffer solutions and document actions taken and successes made with the Monitoring and Evaluation Unit for a collective report. The social worker in charge of each ward also reads a report on every Monday of the week about the social work intervention in his/her ward.
SOURCES OF FUNDS
The Department has a magnanimous Management that has set aside a certain fixed percentage of its monthly income from its drugs revolving fund for the department to assist indigent patients and those who eventually became insolvent after long stay on admission. However, this fund is always overburdened.
- Through active, resilient and persistent social advocacy from individuals, groups, organizations, etc.
- Through community philanthropists who may just come around to help others.