The Nursing Services Department came into existence in the year 2001, with some inherited staff of General Hospital Azare, from which the Centre took over at its present site. The Department is obviously the largest department in the centre and is centrally responsible for providing effective and efficient nursing care to the teaming patients.
UNITS OF THE DEPARTMENT
The activities of Nursing services is being managed through various coordinating units. The coordinators are charged with the resposibility of ensuring that adequate care is given to all patients by maintening standard practices with assistance from the unit managers. The units are as follows:
OBSTETRICS AND GYNAECOLOGY UNIT
- Labour Room
- Lying in Ward I
- Lying in Ward II
- Eclamptic Unit
- Anti-Natal Clinic
- Gynae Ward
- Gynae Emergency
SPECIALISED SERVICE UNIT
- A and E
- Amenity Ward I
- Ambulance Referrals
- Compound Office
GENERAL OUT-PATIENT DEPARTMENT (GOPD)
- Eye Clinic
- Male Medical Ward
- Male Surgical Ward
- Female Medical Ward
- Female Surgical Ward
- Paediatric Medical Ward
- Orthopedic Ward
MAIN OPERATING THEATRE
- Infection Control Unit
The Department cares for all in-patients at the wards, unit and out patients at clinics including medicals, surgical and obstetric and emergencies.
COMPONENTS OF NURSING SERVICES
As the largest and a very diversified section, Nursing Services is present in almost every aspect of healthcare delivery in the following context:
- Patient care delivery with patient centered, family and community care approach to ensure restoration of pre-morbid activities of daily living, palliative care.
- Qualitative improvement through information technology system.
- Collaboration practice internally and externally in order to meet with exiting global standards.
- Nursing actions, planned and prioritized provided for patient participation, health promotion, maintenance and restoration of health.
OUR APPROACH TO QUALITY ASSURANCE OF SERVICE
Our approach ensures that our nurses are well trained and possess expected professional competence; having received authorized education and training and have acquired required knowledge, skills and attitudes.
A person’s educational achievement and experience are used to determine the person’s qualification for functioning in an identified specialty area; hence the department encourages employment, training and appropriate posting into specialized areas.LICENSURE
Our Nurses always maintains Valid and current practicing license;, issued and endorse by the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria.
Nursing Services Department of Offer services in specialized areas with 267 Nurses and 276 Health Assistant/Attendants. In addition to our license to practice General Nursing, Some of our Nurses are also licensed in accident and emergency, Anaesthesia, peri-operative, Intensive care, ophthalmic, Orthopaedics, Midwifery, paediatric, psychiatry, and hospital infection control, Ear, Nose and Throat.
WORKING COMMITTEES OF THE DEPARTMENT AND THEIR FUNCTIONS
1 - Continuing Education Committee
The Committee is headed by a Chief Nursing officer and assisted by other cadre of Nurses. Functions:
- They conduct continuous education for developmental growth in form of fortnightly presentations, workshops and seminars.
- Orientation programmes for newly employed nurses and ward orderlies.
- Organize, teach and monitoring application of nursing process to ensure quality care.
2 - Quality Assurance Committee
- To access the quality of performance in provision of nursing care and management of other services within patients’ environment.
- To provide nursing personnel with information on their level of performance in relation to set standards in the organization.
- To serve as a tool to increase awareness on medico-legal implications of nursing practices.
- To identify specific needs for additional in-service training of personnel and staff development.
- To provide statistical data concerning the management process of organized nursing services and utilization of resources.
3 - Infection Control Committee: Functions include:
- checking and inspecting the cleanliness of wards and clinics.
- Monitoring and control of contaminations by ensuring proper use of standard precaution.
- Checking and monitoring the handling and disposal of sharps and infectious materials where applicable.
- Establishing protocols that are essential in the prevention of the spread of infection.
- inspecting and monitoring the use of appropriate procedures for insertion and care of devices to reduce the device related infections.
4 - DISPLINARY COMMITTEE
Function to undertake displinary measures on both senior and junior staff that committed minor offenses in the department.
In conclusion, a lot have been achieved since inception; in areas of manpower development, infrastructures, and job satisfaction. But more are required, to ensure that we meet with the demand of the time.
HEAD OF NURSING SERVICES
The department is headed by Fatima S. Abubakar