HEALTH INFORMATION MANAGEMENT DEPT
The Records Department is the first point of contact for patients with the Hospital. It is under the Clinical Services Directorate. The Department handles accurate documentation of patients and subsequent care of patient records in folders. The Library and other archives contain folders for all patients from the first to the last registered under strict care.
Patients are given a unique continuous Unit Number that allows very easy access to their folders when they come for consultation. Dedicated staff retrieve folders for clinicians and other personnel and store them back after the patient is treated. A folder can be traced using it's tracer card, which is kep in its location once the folder is taken out, thus folders are almost never lost.
The Department of Records is on duty 24 hours; it's staff work 3 shifts (morning, afternoon and night) continuously, especially in the Accident & Emergency and the Gynae Emergency, where patients come at all hours of the day for treatment.
The Department also handles generation of health information statistics for the Management and other bodies in its Statitics and Monitoring & Evaluation Units. This information is vital for accurate and effective health planning.
- 1. To initiate patient records i.e. for new out-patient, new admissions and Accident and Emergencies.
- To keep into custody the out-patient cards and case folders.
- To release health records information when required.
- Release of out-patient cards and case folder for patient treatment and research studies.
- Filling and retrieval of cards and folders.
- To acquire printed medical records stationeries and distribute them to the various department.
- Release of Health information for Administrative, Research and training.
- Publication of statistics about the department.